Pages

Sunday, August 6, 2023

Puerto Rican Festival Weekend


 The geese are chillin', waiting for the party to begin.

Visit #1435, Sunday 6 August 23, 6:35-8:25AM, 3.5 miles, 10.0 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the high 60s, sunny with moderate humidity.

Second week in a row with wonderful summer weather. I could get used to this!

Recommendations for parking at this weekend's Puerto Rican Festival in Hubbard Park were:

"The parking lot at Hubbard Park, at 999 West Main St., is mainly for performers and food vendors. If there’s extra space, the public can park at the lot until full. A free shuttle will be available from noon to 8 p.m. and will provide transportation from Lincoln Middle School, at 164 Centennial Ave., to the festival."

With that knowledge, I wasn't going to fight for a parking space for my weekly activities or take a shuttle bus, so I started early.

From the parks department truck parked at the water treatment plant, it looks like no one will be visiting Castle Craig or West Peak today. But it will be a perfect day to walk the road up to the peaks, unencumbered by vehicles.

Soon to be upstaged for my Find of the Week, I found a leash-without the dog attached.

Near the south end of Merimere Reservoir, I found this memorial card.


I redacted their identity from the card as a courtesy. This is the second time I've found a memorial card for this person, having found the first card back in May This time, I followed the QR code on the back side to a web site and contacted the source, asking them to not leave these cards in Hubbard park as they are the equivalent "of graffiti or litter." I tried to be diplomatic about the issue. We'll see if this creates a kerfuffle.

While weeding in my yard on Saturday, I remembered I wanted to spray some weeds on the walkbridge over I-691. So I packed up the unused weed killer and when I reached the walkbridge, sprayed both ends until I emptied the sprayer.

Reaching the south end of the bridge, I found this cat face cutout. It was the second one I found today. The other one I found at the Halfway House. I'm always finding strange stuff.


But the strangest thing I found today, and my Find of the Week, was a car battery, found at the parking area at the northwest corner of Mirror Lake.


I wasn't going to lug this brute far, so I placed it next to a No Parking sign believing the parks department will shake their heads (as I did when I found it) then remove it.


If you went to the Puerto Rican Festival this weekend I hope you had fun, and brought some Beano.
I know I'd need it!

I'll be home chillin' like a goose.


No comments:

Post a Comment