Visit #1617, Sunday 6 September 26, 6:25-9:10 a.m., 5.3 miles, 5.2lbs. of litter.
Temps in the 60s, intermittent showers.
You know what bothers me?
It's not the signs someone tacks on trees calling me an asshole like this week,
It's not the newly fallen trees on the trail which mean bringing my chainsaw next week to keep the trails clear,
It's not the religious tract I found this week, and I'm constantly finding here and there,
It wasn't the unexpected on and off rain this morning that I was unprepared for, leaving me soggy,
It's not the graffiti I frequently find and remove, such as this morning,
It's not the litter I picked up this week, and week after week,
It isn't even the Igloo cooler tossed into the woods at West Peak, which prompted me to drive up there to retrieve because it was too large and clumsy to carry.
"But you know what does bother me? You know what really makes me sick to my stomach?
For several of the past weeks I've put out my blog notices and asked many of you in the know about this logging project in Hubbard Park, a project which was encroaching on a hiking trail. I had hoped to do something to protect it. And I heard nothing but crickets in reply.
Now this trail is obliterated; completely unusable. It is history. The sample photos don't show the extent of the damage. The loggers took the gravy and left the bones when they could have been held to a higher standard.
Hubbard Park is my hot dog. To those that could have responded and perhaps helped to prevent this, you are nothing but ketchup.












Pete - What's the general location of the logging ?
ReplyDeleteDon H.
If you follow the road across the north end of Merimere Reservoir and head toward the peaks, you'll come to the sharp left hand bend in the road where it starts to pitch up. You'll see the orange barred gate on your right, which is currently open. Go in there. When you see the brook, about fifty yards in, don't cross it to your right but continue straight across (it may be dry) as if aiming directly uphill, almost parallel to the road which is now much to your left. Head straight up the trail and it should be obvious almost immediately. If you don't find it let me know. The mess is bothering me enough that I'm tempted to clear it myself but the time required would take me away from my routine in Hubbard Park. P.S. Years ago you complained to me about South Mountain needing a chainsaw for trail maintenance. You said you took your son up there. Well, I cleared it last year in preparation for a hike the Meriden Parks Department holds annually called the Three Peaks Challenge. I'll be checking on it this year prior to the event, which is usually held around the first weekend in November. The parks department posts it on their web page as well as on their Facebook page. Contact me if you want more info.
ReplyDeleteThanks Pete - I thought that might be the area you were writing about. I was up there a couple of weeks ago on my bike and saw the damage.
ReplyDeleteWhat a mess it certainly is.
I was on the South Mountain trail a few times earlier this summer and it was still all clear, except for one area which I cleaned up with my chainsaw. Haven't been up there since though. Maybe I'll take a ride up there this week.
Thanks for all your hard work and diligence on the trails - Hubbard Park is an awesome place to ride and hike.
Thanks for taking care of South Mountain with your chainsaw. Hikers will appreciate it as well.
Delete