Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2020

A Bad Haircut



 A nice view, but at what price?

Visit #1255, Saturday 27 June 20, 8:20AM-12:00PM, 5.0miles, 14.0lbs. of litter.
Temps in the low 70's, sunny and humid. Clouding up with rain forecast for the afternoon.

Last week I discovered a tree fallen across the Blue Trail, up near Castle Craig. This week my main chore would be to remove it.

Earlier in the week I took a mountain bike ride through the park. I found Painted Rock #20.


I also checked on the progress of the Green Trail. Last week I sprayed the right side with weed killer, and trimmed the left side with loppers. Honestly, even though the weed killer is easier (and lazier!) to apply, I think manual trimming does a better job here.


Up at the Halfway House, I also checked on the progress of my recently applied weed killer. Here, weed killer is better suited for the job.


On Saturday as I hiked up the road toward Merimere Reservoir, I found a pile of broken glass which I gathered up and put into my trash bag. Too heavy to carry and expecting to find more litter, I left this first bag at the water treatment plant and opened a new bag.



As I walked the road, I saw that some very ugly trimming had been performed along the shoreline of Merimere Reservoir.



I'm not sure what the goal was, but to anyone sightseeing around Merimere Reservoir, it's a bad haircut. I'd ask for my money back, and my hair. Fortunately, in a few years this will recover and be just a memory. But will it happen again?

I found some new graffiti at a gate used by the Meriden Water Department.


Using a combination of sandpaper and Goof Off, I removed it.


I hiked up the road toward Castle Craig, and just when I reached the fallen tree which was my goal for the day, I coincidentally met my former, occasional company and assistant, Paul. He offered to help me remove the tree.


I chose to use my comealong today because I didn't want the weight of my chainsaw, particularly for a simple, single location job. Whether it was due to age or laziness, it was a bad decision on my part. The comealong worked, but it took too long to complete the removal. Next time, just bring the chainsaw. Lesson learned.



Returning to the park via the trails, I found Painted Rock #21.


I also found this, taped to a rock.


I don't know what "manny" refers to, but the saying to me is obviously a riff on Gil Scott-Heron's classic song, The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. Worth a listen.


I returned to the park and dropped off my bag of litter for the week.


I leave you with my Covid mask collection of this week. A Sign o' the Times.






No comments:

Post a Comment