Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2020

Cut!


Saturday dawned with a soupy fog and warm, sticky air.

Visit #1251, Saturday 6 June 20, 6:00-7:50AM, 2.2 miles, 5.5 lbs. of litter.
Temps in the 70's, very humid and warm.

Visit #1252, Sunday 7 June 20, 5:40-6:45AM, 1.2 miles, 4.3 lbs. of litter.
Temps in the 50's, sunny, dry, and pleasant.

I was on-call. There's a reason why, when I tell you I'm on-call, that I stick close to my vehicle. Keep reading.

Last week I was informed by someone driving by Hubbard Park on I-691 that a banner was hung from the walkbridge over the highway which said, "Black Lives Matter". No doubt this was done in conjunction with the current protests happening.

Same person told me they drove by the walkbridge a day or two later and the banner was gone. I decided to see if I might find the removed banner or some other remnants. On Friday I took a mountain bike ride to the walkbridge to see what, if anything I would need to clean up the area.

Saturday arrived and I started early because I had a haircut scheduled at 8:15AM, my first in months due to the Covid-19 lockdown.

Walking directly to the walkbridge, I never found a banner, but I did find remnants.


From the positions of the hose clamps, I estimate the length of the banner at 20 feet.


Because I did my homework on Friday, I knew what tools to bring on Saturday.


I turned around and returned to the park, picking up litter and trimming the trails as I hiked.

I continue to find Hubbard Park's rock painting artist's work. This I found around Mirror Lake.


 Just as I reached the parking lot, I received a call for emergency service. Good thing I wasn't far away on the trails. I had to cut my session short.



So this week's work was cut into two sessions, as I returned very early Sunday morning. Last week
I tried removing some graffiti from asphalt with various fluids. I wasn't completely satisfied, so I woke very early Sunday morning and drove to the north end of Merimere Reservoir to perform a more satisfactory (to me, at least) fix.



I was done well before 6AM; I wasn't exactly going to go home and back to bed. I returned to Hubbard Park and picked up litter around the playscape. Good thing I did-seems I left my work gloves there on Saturday, and surprise-they were still there!


CUT!



No comments:

Post a Comment