Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2020

Summer STILL Isn't Here?!


The shade from this cozy section of trail was welcome relief from the heat and humidity.

Visit #1254, Saturday 20 June 20, 6:15-9:00AM, 4.1 miles, 13.4lbs. of litter.
Temps in the 60's and rapidly rising to near 90, with high humidity. Sunny.

Even though Summer didn't officially start until 5:44PM on Saturday, the weather wasted no time in bringing the goods. Heat and humidity, that is.

I started extra early hoping to avoid it all. I would have had better luck avoiding my taxes.

It turned into a sweatfest, or my hat was pissing on my head.

I hiked over I-691 on the walkbridge and followed trails up to Castle Craig. I did find one fallen tree which will have to wait until next week for removal.

Reaching the Castle area, I picked up litter and while inspecting around the flagpole I found some graffiti.



I was about to let Kicks 'n' Heelz go until I remembered my sandpaper.


The road to West Peak and Castle Craig was opened this week, in conjunction with the relaxing of social distancing standards and other safety precautions. The road normally opens the 1st of May.

After witnessing the substantial increase in pedestrians enjoying walking the road while it was  closed, I wonder if there will be any backlash with the reintroduction of cars.


I followed the trails down and at the Halfway House I cleaned up all the trash then addressed the increase of graffiti which coincided with the Covid-19 lockdown.



There was much more but I don't need to illustrate all of it. I used brown spray paint to mitigate  all the damage best as I could.


I also addressed all the weeds growing around the Halfway House by spraying the perimeter with weed killer. Give it a few weeks to work.


Shortly after leaving the Halfway House, I encountered Colorado'd Tree #20.


I had the tools with me to trim it back, off the trail.


Returning to the park on the road,  I encountered someone who wished the road was still closed to vehicles.


I dropped off my bag of litter hoping my hat was done pissing on my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment