Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Far and Wide

Visit #1157, Sunday 9 September 18, 7:40-10:20AM, 2.8 miles.
Temps in the 50's, cloudy and very breezy.

I actually took a real, "no trail maintenance" hike in Hubbard Park on Saturday, except by the time I was done I wished I'd done the trail maintenance anyway. I saw too much litter and it pained me to pass it up.  So on Sunday I returned to pick up some of the litter and to tend to other duties, which covered the far corners of Hubbard Park.

On Saturday's hike I stopped at Castle Craig (I rarely poke my head inside whenever I pass by The Castle.) and couldn't believe people would leave their trash inside. So on Sunday morning I stopped by and removed it.



I took a trip to the top and noticed some new graffiti. I wasn't equipped to remove it; stay tuned next week for that.

After cleaning up Castle Craig and the parking lot, I went over to West Peak to continue pinning down the telephone poles at a trailhead to discourage people from driving their vehicles down the secluded trail.

I want to reduce the size of that gap.


First, I have to get one of the telephone poles in the background to move.


Once roughly in position, next I fix its position using 1/2" rebar which I've sharpened to a point.


I leave a small gap to allow ATV's to pass, otherwise they'd just do something destructive to find a way around or through there. If I get REAL CRAZY I might put that remaining telephone pole in the background to use.


I left West Peak and drove down and around Merimere Reservoir. Enroute I stopped to remove two trees which had fallen and were hanging so low they hit the antenna on my vehicle.


I had to climb the bank to reach the base of the trees, then used a bow saw to cut them down.


That's better.


Next, I returned to the parking lot, parked, and hiked the trail on the south side of I-691 to remove two more low hanging trees which I discovered on my hike Saturday.


More bow saw and elbow grease.


I returned to the park and dropped off my bag of litter. Next week I may retrace Saturday's hike to pick up the trash I passed by.


3 comments:

  1. Peter, is it possible to get some poles to block the old road going downhill from the end of the dirt cell tower road. I've noticed 4*4 truck abuse lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I know which trail you're referring to.

      How far are the 4x4's traveling down that trail? After about 100yds. or so, it appears too narrow and rutted for 4x4 use; I'd expect they'd have to back out as there's no way to turn around.

      Let me know.

      Delete
  2. I does get ratty farther down, it's the turning around that does the damage. Some idiot was driving up the blue trail to the old chimney and the grassy Glade near the old metal water tank. Lots of trash, I pick up what I can. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete