Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2018

It Will Still Be There


Gray skies and cooler, fall temps were the order of the day in Meriden on Sunday.

Visit #1159, Sunday 23 September 18, 7:20-9:50AM. Temps in the 60's, cloudy.

Last week I lamented that some graffiti I wanted to address at Castle Craig would have to wait because I was called away for work issues.

As one intelligent blog reader pointed out to me, "...the graffiti will still be there!" How true.

I started early so I could reach Castle Craig before anyone else and work without disturbing anyone.

While picking up litter at the south end of Merimere Reservoir, I found this package:


My first encounter with marijuana infused candy, it seems it did not come from Massachusetts. Massachusetts limits the THC level of individual edibles to 5mg of THC. This single "sucker" contains 29.97mg of THC. I wonder where it came from, or if I'm interpreting MA's marijuana laws incorrectly. Transportation of recreational marijuana purchased across state lines is currently illegal, but I imagine we will see a lot more of this. (Update: Recreational sale of marijuana in Massachussetts has not started as of this blog's published date although it has been approved by the legislature. The candy must have come from another state.)

I reached the Halfway House. It was still there.


The trail up to Castle Craig is steep, regardless of which route you take.


Here's some of the graffiti I wanted to clean.


I treated it with Goof-Off before applying a wire brush. The Goof-Off will not stain the concrete, and will either evaporate or wash off in the first rain, forecast for this week by the way.


Unfortunately, my efforts weren't as successful as I had hoped. I tried it on other graffiti and had the same results.

Here I tried just a wire brush. The Before and After photos show almost no change. I'll contact the Meriden Parks Department as they have a pressure washer with a special solution which may be more effective.



While at the top of Castle Craig, I found this left over package from a personal fireworks package. Gee; I wonder who the target market is?


I cleaned up the Castle Craig parking lot, and left a bag of litter and the fireworks box for later pickup by the Parks Department.


While cleaning the perimeter of the parking lot, I addressed this tree which is encroaching into parking apron of the asphalt.


The entire tree needs to be removed, but that will have to wait until the next time I'm there with a chainsaw. It will still be there. For now I used my loppers to give it a trim.


I walked the road to a trail, then down and over I-691 where I encountered some new graffiti on the bridge.


"Gucci Flip Flops" is actually the title of a rap song. Oh yeah; real classy lyrics. Read 'em at your own peril. Click on the video in the link if you choose and check out the ahem, talent of the artist.

 Sorry; Gucci Flip Flops gotta go.




In case you're wondering what "420" refers to, it's cannibis culture. Did the same person who inked our walkbridge drop that wrapper above?

420 won't still be there if I'm packing sandpaper.




Some more elbow grease and...


I returned to the parking lot, which was still there, and a walk to raise awareness about liver disease was in progress, and the parking lot was filled to capacity. Good for them.


I dropped off my trash bag.


And next week Hubbard Park will still be there and so will I.

No comments:

Post a Comment