Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2018

To Do List


A mere 48 hours after our first snow of the season, and a significant 6-8" snow too, the trail shows the conditions didn't deter hikers from enjoying Hubbard Park.

Visit $1167, Saturday 17 November 18, 12:10-2:20PM, 4.9 miles.
Temps in the 40's, sunny and comfortable.

Last week's foray into Hubbard Park left me with a To Do list, so this week I would hike through most of the same locations tracking down and checking off items needing attention.

The early season snow was melting quickly. This, combined with the not quite yet frozen ground, meant a sloppy mix and slippery going. But with my new boots on, at least my feet would remain dry.

I hiked over I-691 and followed the trails up to West Peak. Here's a view from the trail below West Peak. Yes; it really is that steep.


I took in the view at the top.



I also checked the rock faces for any recent graffiti and unfortunately, I found some.


But this week I carried with me a new graffiti removal formula, which I intended to debut later but the opportunity presented itself so...


It's effective, and it's fast. The only drawback is, wiping the rough surface is not easy. This liquid removal technique is better applied on smooth surfaces, as we shall see.

I left West Peak and headed to a trail where a hemlock had fallen across.


I had originally planned to bring a chainsaw but since this was the only tree on the agenda, and it was relatively small in diameter, and a soft wood, I chose to bring my bow saw instead, hoping it would not take long to dispatch the tree.


Not bad; it only took seven minutes.

I turned around and retraced my trail steps back to the road. Enroute I came upon the only piece of litter I would find today. Good thing I was looking up, otherwise I never would have seen it.


Reaching the road,  I followed it down to my next task; Hubbard Park's Christian graffiti vandal's 12th work.


This is where my new removal approach is perfect; a smooth surface. It was a matter of a minute or less to remove this.



I continued following the road around Merimere Reservoir and back to the parking lot to deposit one measly beer can.


No comments:

Post a Comment