Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2021

Post-Storm Elsa Inspection


 Water was flowing vigorously in one of the brooks in Hubbard Park, two days after Storm Elsa dumped rain on the area.

Visit #1316, Sunday 11 July 21, 6:45-9:15AM, 3.7 miles, and coincidentally 3.7lbs. of litter. Play the lottery!

Temps in the low 70's, very cloudy with moderate humidity and showers possible.

On a bike ride through Hubbard Park last week, I noticed someone had added eyebrows and a moustache to The Face Rock in the park. When I started today's hike, I walked to the rock to see if I could remove the magic marker.


I tried various techniques to remove the magic marker; first a wire brush, then sandpaper, then Goo Gone. 


The Goo Gone colored the rock, but it's citrus based and water soluble. If it doesn't wash off from rain this week, I'll try some dishwashing liquid next week to remove what remains.

I turned around and pointed myself toward Merimere Reservoir.

The missing bollard at the gate at Hubbard Park Drive has finally been reinstalled, with a fresh coat of paint. I didn't see anything that indicates this installation will be more theft-proof than the last attempt as I was told would be the case, so we'll have to wait and see.



At Merimere Reservoir, a gaggle of geese strut about like they own the place.


Someone had suggested I try to remove some graffiti and my old attempt to paint over it, by using a torch.

So today I tried it.



I won't even bother to post an After photo. It didn't work.

On the walkbridge over I-691, one of the American flags has become unserviceable. I recently discovered the Meriden Public Library has a drop box for old flags, so I removed this flag and will drop it off at the library.


Here's Cat Graffiti #9 since November 2016. I removed it. Talk about having nine lives...


I returned to the parking lot and fortunately did not find any tree damage as a result of Storm Elsa.



No comments:

Post a Comment