Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2021

Mid-Summer Blood Loss

 Visit #1318, Saturday 24 July 21, 6:40-9:50AM. 5.3miles, 8.3lbs. of litter.

Temps in the mid-60's to start. Warming up nicely to the low 80's, with sun and reasonable humidity.

A couple weeks ago I noticed some graffiti at Castle Craig I'd forgotten about, and it needed some attention. I have been criticized for my typical method of eradicating graffiti on rocks, which is to paint over it. Today I would try a different method.

I walked the road all the way from the playscape, around Merimere Reservoir and up to Castle Craig. This is what I would address today.

I donned coveralls and nitrile gloves, and laid out my tools.


Some people have suggested I just leave it alone. But I say do that, and it will invite more graffiti. My opinion was reinforced by a conversation a friend had with a State of Connecticut Parks employee who expressed similar views.

I also adhere to this adage:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

I'm not sure I approve of the results. I'll have to give it a while for rain to cleanse the rock, and to get a little weathering, before I decide this method is worth the time and expense. Painting is much quicker and more thorough. It seems to weather well, too.


I moved on, all the while being chased by mosquitoes. Stop for even a few seconds and you were their buffet. The frequent rains of recent were perfect conditions for mosquito orgies, hence the large number of hungry bastards.

On the return trip I found this spider had certainly been doing something other than nothing. That's quite a piece of work.

I dropped off my trash for the week, having done something, with only a small loss of blood.

Despite the bugs, it was still nice to get outside in the early morning placidness of Hubbard Park.



No comments:

Post a Comment