Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2021

Mid-Summer Blood Loss, Continued

 

While early morning conditions were autumn-like comfortable, after the mosquitos had their morning coffee and read the newspaper, they punched the clock at about 8:30AM and went to work-on me.

Last week, while descending the Orange Trail from Castle Craig, I noticed a branch which had snapped from a tree during Storm Isaias but was still attached, had finally fallen to the ground. This week I brought the chainsaw to deal with it, as well as some other punch list items near Castle Craig.

I mis-read the tree's resting position and promptly got the chainsaw stuck. Well, that sucks.

I had to disconnect the powerhead from the bar and work it free. That was thirty minutes of my life I'll never get back.

After freeing the bar, but not the chain, I installed a spare chain, made a proper cut and retrieved my chain as well. Thank goodness for having a good teacher, and preparation.

On the final approach to Castle Craig I removed this small leaner.


On the parking lot perimeter at Castle Craig, a tree had been protruding into the parking lot and bugging me for years.  Now that the parking lot has been marked, that area has become a walking path; all the more reason to remove the tree.


While at Castle Craig, I checked on the graffiti I removed last week. I was curious as to whether any rain during the week washed away the remnants of the lacquer thinner I used, and if the result had faded sufficiently.


The fading looks better in person. I give it my stamp of approval.

Leaving the parking lot, a short distance away along the road I reached my last punch list item for the day. These two trees are leaning into the road and hanging low.


Obviously, it's easier to do this work early in the morning, before cars have access to the road.


Following the trails back to the park, I came upon my Weird Find of the Week.


I could spot this painted rock from a distance, and had a hunch what I was going to find. 

In March of 2019 I found this site was someone's idea of a grave for their dead ferret. Today, I found the dead ferret wrapped in a towel and resting on a pillow. I left the ferret and took the rest. I hope I don't get some bad juju for disturbing the site.



Ah well, I returned to the park and dropped of my trash for the week.


Dead ferret-dead parrot; what's the difference?




No comments:

Post a Comment