Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2021

How Many Times

 

A light breeze rippled the waters of Merimere Reservoir Sunday. Intermittent sprinkles taunted us all day but didn't deter.

Visit #1320, Sunday 8 August 21, 6:50-9:35AM, 5.1 miles, 10.4lbs. of litter.

Temps in the high 60's, mildly humid, with a light breeze.

Bernie Jurale is best known as a Platt High School teacher who celebrated healthy living by running up to Castle Craig once a year on his birthday month. The tradition has continued after Bernie's passing, as The Tradition Run.

I have a friend who, as an amateur bike racer once trained by riding up to Castle Craig ten times in one day.

And today, there was Mark.

Mark started a tradition of his own, riding up to Castle Craig once a month. Today, at the defiant age of 70, he would ride up to Castle Craig for the 200th consecutive month!

I decided I would ensure the road to Castle Craig would be pretty for his landmark ride.

But first:

Earlier this week I rode my mountain bike through Hubbard Park to check for downed trees, etc. on some trails. My ride paid off.

At the Merimere Reservoir spillway, I discovered some new graffiti, from someone not quite prepared for the Scripps Spelling Bee.

On the trail, I found this fallen tree, which will have to wait until next week.


I returned early Sunday morning and walked to the north end of the reservoir to take care of the graffiti.


On the adjacent guardrail, I found some graffiti and used other means to remove it.



On the northern bank of the reservoir, I found the broken pieces of a plate. I was dying to read the entire message but alas, it was too difficult to piece together. I guess we'll never know.


The sister plate was found nearby.


Strangely enough, I found this very similar plate at the far southern end of Hubbard Park back in March of this year. Hmmm...

As I reached the fork in the road to East/West Peak, I found the remnants of caution tape which was strung across the road, from the likely rescue of a woman who had "fallen" off the cliffs of East Peak earlier in the week. Details are sparse on her identity or her condition.

I did the usual trail cleanup and dropped off the trash for the week.


Later that afternoon, I joined Mark (holding the sign) and friends to celebrate his landmark ride, and to wish him many more.


A bit of trivia: Mark was actually at Woodstock and had to move his tent because he was too close to the stage!


2 comments: