Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2021

Hurricane Henri and My Change of Plans

Visit #1322, Saturday 21 August 21, 2:00-3:40PM, 3.7 miles, 5.4lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 80's, mostly cloudy and very humid, in advance of Hurricane Henri.

My plan this week was to enter Hubbard Park on Sunday before 7AM to paint over some graffiti, which would give it a chance to dry before any hapless hiker touched it.

Alas, Hurricane Henri's predicted arrival on Sunday put an end to that idea.

A combination of factors left me knackered even before I started Saturday's hike, leaving me with little energy so my session was under two hours. Needless to say, I was even more toasted when I finished.

I hiked west, toward the I-691 walkbridge and found a fallen tree across the trail. Fortunately, it didn't require tools to remove.


On the short trail leading to the parking area off West Main Street, was a fallen tree which would require power tools to remove, on another day. My hedge clippers weren't going to make a dent in it.


At the parking area off West Main Street, I came upon my Find of the Week.



Curious as to what IG-322 is for? Look HERE. My question is, if this is a legitimate prescription cannabinoid, why isn't the doctor's name, patient's name, and issuing pharmacy on the label? It makes me wonder how well medical cannabis is regulated. And NO, I didn't try them or sell them on Craigslist!

I found yet another of the increasingly common painted signs, nailed to a tree.


I took a brief break at the Halfway House, and watched someone standing high on the parapet wall of Castle Craig.


I also watched this lightweight search for food.


I dragged myself back to the park and dropped off my trash for the week.


Leaving Hubbard Park was no easy feat. This conga line of at least one hundred Canadian Geese created a ten minute delay while they toddled across the road.


But of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I figured I could still beat Hurricane Henri on Sunday morning and remove that fallen tree. I also had another idea.

I arrived very early at the parking area off West Main Street, while it was merely sprinkling, and made the two minute walk to the fallen tree, removing it with my chainsaw.



I returned my chainsaw to my car. This parking area off West Main Street has a lot of low hanging branches. With my new pole saw, I now had the means to improve clearances. And the car in the background-he apparently slept there overnight, and left once my presence woke him up.


Sorry for the blurry photos; it was still somewhat dark, and my camera was using a slow shutter speed.


These photos are after I finished. The trees sheltered me from the increasing rain while I worked. You can see one cut branch in the left of the photo.


You can see the pile of branches I cut on the left side of this photo. It's not my best trimming job as I was hastened by the rain, but at least the trees won't be hitting cars for a while.



No comments:

Post a Comment