Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2021

Eating A Sunshine Sandwich


 Many people were like me today, enjoying the meat of a Sunshine Sandwich in Hubbard Park on Saturday.

Visit #1337, Saturday 13 November 21, 9:20AM-1:10PM, 5.8 miles, 10.5 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 40's but quickly rising to the low 60's; sunny, but clouding up toward the afternoon.

Rain developed Friday after sundown but ended by Saturday morning bringing in a warm breeze and sunshine. The other slice of rainy bread would arrive late Saturday afternoon but in between was a perfectly comfortable day for outdoor activities, as you can see from the parking lot at Hubbard Park above.

We must have had some high winds during the week that I don't recall. The end result was downed branches in several places which, when I visited last week, were clear. I was able to remove everything without the use of tools.





On one trail, a log I'd previously cut from a downed tree had rolled into the trail. Using a web strap, I pulled it off the trail to a more permanent resting place.



I hiked the road down from East/West Peak, using my polesaw to trim overhanging branches.

Last week, I reported discovering the lock on the gate blocking access to the Maloney Canal had been cut. I also said I e-mailed the Meriden Water Department then advising them of the missing lock.

I'm pleased to say the water department replaced the lock this week, presumably because I alerted them to the condition.


But from the Glass Half Full/Half Empty Department: You would think after I e-mailed the director of the water department he would have at least replied that they would take care of the issue, and if he was in an unusually generous mood, maybe even a Thank You somewhere in there. Instead, nothing. Those annoying taxpayers; all they do is complain!

Also reported last week was finding Cat Graffiti #10. This week was number 11.


But I was duly equipped to handle this. I sprayed on my secret elixir, turned my back for mere seconds and when I turned around, it had done most of the work for me.


Next was something I didn't need to e-mail the water department nor the parks department. This annoying taxpayer took care of it.



There was quite a warm breeze from the south moving up Merimere Reservoir, creating choppy waves.


It was still sunny when I dropped off my trash for the week, but the afternoon quickly turned cloudy, then rainy, then thunderstorms (in November!), completing the Sunshine Sandwich Saturday.




No comments:

Post a Comment