Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2021

Just In Time For The Holiday

 


Just a few of the kajillion holiday light displays I saw while in Hubbard Park Saturday. Wrong time of day to enjoy the beauty of the lights, though!

Visit #1338, Saturday 27 November 21, 8:20-11:05AM, 2.4 miles, 33.0 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 40's, sunny with a chilly breeze.

Visit #1339, Sunday 28 November 21, 7:15-9:40AM, 4.0 miles, 8.0 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 30's, cloudy with very light snow flurries.

I lost last week's Battle Royale with the Moderna Covid booster. Not only did I not visit Hubbard Park, I stayed home from work on Monday, hugging my couch. Fortunately, I recovered in time for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, with which I planned a couple trips to the park.

The weather failed to cooperate on Black Friday, so Saturday it was.

Once a year I like to clean the slope behind the playscape, adjacent to I-691. This year it was a last minute decision but the weather was right and the ground was clear.

I made relatively quick progress so with plenty of time left on my hands, I traveled around the eastern parts of Hubbard Park and picked up litter there as well, which is how I took the opening photo.


I still had time to kill so I took it upon myself to trim the fence line adjacent to that I-691 slope. I only trimmed from the park's side of the fence, to improve clearances for parking. Here's a pair of Before/After shots that best illustrates what I did.


Sunday I called up the Special Projects Unit to continue trimming trees on the side of the road up to East and West Peak. Working north to south, I progressed to around Merimere Reservoir. If you look closely, you'll see I marked the letter "F" in red spray paint on the road to indicate where today's work stopped.


As I was walking back to the park and picking up litter, I came upon my Find of the Week, a boundary marker for Berlin/Meriden. Check out the date!



Now THAT is history. If only that marker could talk...




No comments:

Post a Comment