Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2021

Repairs

 Here's a revelation: I didn't go to Hubbard Park this weekend! Read on and find out why.

In May of this year I received the first dose of the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine. No big deal; I felt "off" for a day or so but that was all.

However, when I received the second dose four weeks later, it absolutely crushed me. Aches, chills, fever; it was just like the flu. It was so bad I stayed home from work, underneath the covers, for two days.

The good thing was, when the symptoms cleared, they cleared within a matter of hours.

When I read in the Record Journal that the Spanish Community of Wallingford (SCOW) was hosting a free clinic Saturday, providing boosters and first/second shots of the various vaccines for the expanded range of eligible people, I jumped at the opportunity. Actually, I didn't jump; I rode my bike there.

What could possibly go wrong?

Well, within eight hours I was back under the covers, which is where I've been all day today and where I'll go when I'm done here while my body repairs itself.

But I feel it's a small price to pay not only for the good of myself but for others, too.

Fortunately, I still have news to report on Hubbard Park.

Along a certain road in Hubbard Park is what's called the Face Rock. Presumably a whimsical attraction created by Walter Hubbard, it had been in a state of disrepair for decades as the marble eyes were vandalized.


Local nature photographer, amateur geologist, and all around lover of Hubbard Park Bob Pagini had expressed to me the desire to repair the rock by restoring the missing eyes. But being a stickler for detail, Bob wanted EXACT replacements. That meant not just size, but color and pattern too.

His searches were coming up dry so when he told me of his plans I figured I could help.

I dived deep into the rabbit hole that is marble collecting, and it is a very deep hole indeed.

I found and contacted Robert Block, who is a published author on marble collecting. When I told him of Bob's plans, here was his reply:

"The marble remnants you show are from US machine made marbles, not German antique marbles. The colors and patterns of each company were unique since they were a trade secret. The remnants you show are in really bad shape so it is impossible to discern the pattern. The hue of blue however was only used by Akro Agate Company and Master Marble Company. Based on the remnants of pattern, it was likely Master. This would date the marbles to 1931-1941."

So it's quite possible the Face Rock, and/or its eyes, were created after the death of Walter Hubbard.

Mr. Block offered to supply me with a suitable pair of marbles but we fell out of touch.

Some time after, I learned there was going to be a marble collector's convention in October somewhere in eastern Massachussetts. I offered to drive Bob there on the hunt for those eyes.

But as luck would have it, I learned the convention was moved to; wait for it- MERIDEN! How easy is this going to be?

Needless to say, Robert Block was there as well as someone else I found through craigslist; David Lenz of Middletown. You know David is serious about marbles when he has a business card for Marbles Wanted! Both were organizers of the convention and they definitely knew their marbles.

Both were generous with their knowledge and offered to give us the marbles for free, which is remarkable because if I recall correctly, Mr. Lenz said these marbles cost $125! We did give them a token of appreciation, put the marbles in a Brinks truck, and drove them home under guard.

This past week Bob repaired the Face Rock to its former glory. Our thanks to Robert Block and David Lenz for their valuable help.


Here's the Face Rock after Bob prepped the holes for the repairs.


And here are the completed repairs.


If you don't know where the Face Rock is, make it a scavenger hunt and find it in Hubbard Park.



1 comment:

  1. Once David and I saw the marbles in hand, we identified them as Christensen Agate Company. This was surprising since that company only produced for a few years in the late 1920s. Akro Agate Company and Master Marble Company marbles would have been much more plentiful at that time, but Christensen's colors were brighter, so perhaps that was the reason they were originally used. Unfortunately, since production by that company was low, the value of Christensens is generally much higher than Akro or Master marbles (due to very low supply), as was noted in the posting. Dave graciously donated them :-)

    ReplyDelete