Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2022

The Official Start of the Christmas Season

 

The Christmas season ain't upon us until the tree is decorated.

Visit #1399, Saturday 10 December 22, 10:45AM-1:35PM, 4.9 miles, 5.0 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 40s, sunny with a crisp breeze.

A regular visitor to Hubbard Park alerted me to this annual occurrence; the decorating of the tree at Echo Point. I had to see it for myself.

I originally had other plans but I worked the two tasks together; pole saw trimming and tree inspection.

As I walked toward Merimere Reservoir I'd collected enough trash to leave a bag at the water treatment plant, and open another one.


Near the Christmas tree at Echo Point, a wreath hangs on the railing. Festive party mood; break out the eggnog! 

Done staring at all that yuletide jazz, I proceeded up the road and to the trails for some plaid-shirted activities.

Down on the trails below Castle Craig there is a tree with a large branch hanging from it. Storm damage from several years ago, it's supported on the ground by the ends of the branch. I'd trimmed it a few times to permit walking underneath but through time it has been drooping lower to the ground. I brought the pole saw this week to restore some of the clearance.

This was difficult work but a passing hiker aided me in making a couple crucial cuts, opening up the gap again.

Despite the warmth of the sun and the wind break in the woods, there were few people out hiking.

This hiking weather is not to be missed, and neither is the Echo Point Christmas tree.




No comments:

Post a Comment