Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2022

My (Late) Christmas Gift To You

 Visit #1402, Monday 26 December 22, 10:45AM-1:25PM, 4.2 miles, 1.0 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 30s, sunny and comfortable.

Visit #1403, Saturday 31 December 22, 9:25-11:35AM, 1.0 miles, 51.4 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 50s, very foggy with condensing humidity.

After finding a few fallen trees and branches across the trails during last week's Bomb Cyclone adventure, I decided I'd use my post-Christmas day off to trip through the trails with my chainsaw and clean up things.

I found a lot more than I encountered last week; good thing I decided to inspect ALL the trails below the peaks while I had the chainsaw with me.

So my first gift to you is to unwrap the trails from fallen trees and branches. Below you'll see the Before and After photos. 

















Here you can see the Halfway House in the background.




Phew!

For my second gift, I chose to perform my annual cleaning of the slope between I-691 and the playscape. 


It really was that foggy, but comfortable. At least it wasn't raining-yet.

I collected all the trash in one spot and started to shuttle it to the dumpsters at the Parks and Rec building...


...then work beckoned.

I am the on-call tech for the holiday week and I received a call for service in New Haven. I hated to do this, but I had to leave the rest of the litter and go to work. If the weather cooperates on New Year's Day, I may be able to return to the park and finish the job before it becomes too much of an eyesore.

And now for my End of the Year Statistics.

Miles hiked: 216.7

Litter collected: 410.2 lbs.

Trees and branches removed from the trails by chainsaw: 35

And as I do every year end, I offer to remove you from my e-mail list, if I'm not already a permanent resident of your spam or junk folder. Just e-mail and request to be removed from my distribution list.

Happy 2023!




No comments:

Post a Comment