Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2023

A Windy Start to the New Year

 

Not a bad start to 2023, weather-wise.

Visit #1404, Sunday 1 January 2023, 9:30-10:15AM, 1.0 miles, 9.0 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 50s, sunny.

Visit #1405, Sunday 8 January 2023, 10:05AM-12:45PM, 5.6 miles, 5.0 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the mid-30s, sunny and calm.

Some people have suggested that I turn to social media for my Hubbard Park activities due to its wider exposure.

If you know me, you know that ain't gonna happen. Well, it turns out social media may be flaming out, and a return to blogging may be the next big thing. So that puts me ahead of the curve. Again.

After last Saturday's short-circuited work in Hubbard Park, I managed to return on New Year's Day and finish shuttling all the trash I collected over to the dumpsters before it became too much of an eyesore. That took maybe fifteen minutes, so I spent some extra time cleaning the area around and inside the playscape, as well as the parking lot.

In the process, I hit the motherlode of Season of the Missing Glove 2022/23.

Here are entries 4 through 13.

(There are a couple gloves hidden in this photo.)





Hey; it's cheap entertainment for me!

I also found a fleece headband. It's already washed and dried and waiting delivery to Goodwill.


Prior to heading to Hubbard Park today, I was folding clothes and among the drying things was a microfiber towel I found in the park last week.

Well, it's not the only one I've ever found there. Here's my collection from Hubbard Park.


They make great dusting cloths; just add a little Endust and go to town!

Now let's get to this week's finds.

They started off with a bang-this double trunked tree fell across the road just up from the Soap Box Derby track. 


The parks department has better things to do than cut this up; it's on a section of road in the park that's closed most of the time so there should be no rush. Hopefully they won't piss in my Wheaties this week and cut it up, so I can spend some quality time next weekend with power tools. Hey; spread the fun around, ya' know?

After all, I hiked up to the Blue Trail high above Merimere Reservoir and found quite a number of other recently fallen trees which will need my attention. Here they are:









Not to be outdone, the number of found Missing Gloves went up today as well. Here's #14 for the season.


Finally, this birch tree has been a graffiti magnet of sorts for at least the past year.

It seems someone took except to whoever cut down one of the trunks (not me) even though it was likely storm damage.


They let their objection be known.


I let it be unknown.


Here's an early heads-up: The Bernie Jurale Tradition Run is on for 22 January 23. 

If the weather holds and the parks department looks the other way, I'll get to report on some real fun next week.





No comments:

Post a Comment