Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2023

Mop Up Operations Complete

 Visit #1408, Saturday 28 January 23, 10:10AM-2:00PM, 5.9 miles, 5.4 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 50s, sunny and unseasonably warm, with light wind.

During last week's hike up the road to Castle Craig in advance of the Tradition Run, from a distance I spied what looked like a fallen tree across an adjacent trail. I had no time then to deviate from my plans to investigate so I gambled that what I was seeing was right, and this week again brought my chainsaw for some bonding activities.

On the way past the Soap Box Derby track I picked up this bucket. I wasn't going to carry it all day, so I left it at the water treatment plant for the good staff to dispose of later.

Up near Castle Craig on the Blue Trail I confirmed I wasn't hallucinating.


This tree exceeded my chainsaw's bar length, and due to the tree's location and position, it was time consuming to remove, about 30 minutes. It also took 1/2 a tank of gas. Some passing hikers doubted I was going to be able to accomplish the job...

Finished with that, I headed toward West Peak and a trail which would take me back down to Merimere Reservoir. I hadn't been on that trail in many weeks and expected to find a number of trees down, considering the winds of the past month or two.

Along the way I found this hemlock poking in to the road, which removed.


On the trail, my suspicions were confirmed; there were many trees needing removal. Sit back and enjoy the Before/After show.













Whew! At least now Hubbard Park's trails are "up to date".

Back on the road and the walk back to the park, I stopped at Echo Point to remove some graffiti.



While Meriden hasn't experienced any significant snowfall yet this winter, we did have considerable rain.

As I walked the road around Merimere Reservoir, I found the Maloney Canal flowing strongly, filling up the reservoir.





No comments:

Post a Comment