Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2023

Playtime

 Visit #1406, Saturday 14 January 23, 10:45AM-2:35PM, 5.6 miles, 1.0 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 30s, cloudy with a light breeze.

I returned to Hubbard Park this week with my chainsaw for a Power Tool Weekend®.

Last week was a recon hike for downed trees after Meriden experienced some windy days.

This week I'd retrace last week's route to remove all the fallen trees.

I had hoped the Meriden Parks Department wouldn't get too efficient and ruin my fun with the first tree I met, on the Soap Box Derby track.  Lucky me; it was party time!

One down, and one to go.

After removing both trees, I wanted to clean up the mess. I used my chainsaw's scabbard as a rake of sorts and pushed all the debris to the side. This was actually a good, total body workout.



The result of an hour's work.

I packed up and hiked on, up toward Castle Craig and the Blue Trail above Merimere Reservoir.

Here are a bunch of Before/After photos to show I wasn't slacking off.








I'm almost at the north end of Merimere Reservoir.


I turned uphill rather than taking the road, to remove more fallen trees.








I really had to cut sparingly so I would have enough fuel to finish today's work. 

Done with all the trail maintenance, I hiked over I-691 and back to the parking lot. Along the way I discovered my Find of the Week.

The hat, embroidered with The Loaded Goat Coffee Company logo (in Naugatuck, CT), is already washed and will join the headband which I found last week, when I take them both to Goodwill.

Next week I plan to inspect one last trail for wind damage.





No comments:

Post a Comment