Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2024

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

 


Visit #1497, Sunday 29 September 24, 7:05-9:45AM, 5.4 miles, 5.1 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 60s, cloudy with intermittent light drizzle.

A blog reader asked me to look out for a pair of glasses and a glove they lost while hiking in Hubbard Park. I decided to give it a shot so I asked for and was given vague directions on their route. I was going to wing it and maybe I'd get lucky.

It appears the state of Connecticut finished their repair work on the I-691 underpass through Hubbard Park, with their last task being installation of fencing. Good for another 30 years.

Nearing the north end of Merimere Reservoir I discovered someone dumped a pile of bricks and concrete off to the side of the road. I'll see what I can do to facilitate getting this picked up.


I love Sunday mornings; even from a distance it looks like Meriden is still sleeping.


I followed the Blue Trail to Castle Craig and beyond.

At the I-691 walkbridge, I found Love Lock #8. If you've followed my blog, you know what's going to happen to this one next week.


Reaching the never ending birch tree graffiti duel, I found the latest in the series. This person just doesn't stop! But then again, neither will I. Just like the lock, this will see the same treatment as previous times.
Actually, I already did; I just forgot to take a photo. It's happening so frequently that I've permanently added black spray paint to my standard backpack load.


While cleaning up the dirt parking area in the northwest corner of mirror lake, I discovered this graffiti


I erased it to spare the author the embarrassment of their misspelling.


On the opposite side of the parking lot were Halloween colors in full display. That was not photoshopped!


Checking out the latest offerings at the kiosk in the parking area, I see the Three Peaks Challenge is coming. There's pizza at the end! Are you enough of a hiker to take on the challenge?

I never found what I was looking for. I'll try another route next weekend.



1 comment: