Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2024

Sequels

 

Visit #1498, Saturday 5 October 24, 7:00-9:15AM, 4.4 miles, 12.6 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 60s, sunny and dry.

Thanks is in order for Chris Bourdon and the Parks Department crew. Last week I found a pile of bricks and concrete dumped on the side of the road around Merimere Reservoir. I e-mailed Chris and he reported it had been picked up the very next day. Thanks again!

While eating my peanut butter, honey, and wheat germ sandwich Saturday morning and creating vague plans on where I would hike in Hubbard Park, I suddenly remembered the love lock I discovered last week and promised to remove. Doh!

I properly equipped myself and headed toward the walkbridge over I-691.


After a few stumbles clumsily trying to grab the lock with my boltcutters, I severed the undying bond between K. and J.


Here are a couple cryptic notes I found on the trails Saturday, one of which shows the author is spelling-challenged.




I found a rock cairn as well.


Good views west and south while hiking up to West Peak.



Following the road toward Castle Craig, I found some graffiti which needed attention. Hold my soda; I got this!



Hiking down toward the Halfway House and Merimere Reservoir, I met a new hiker whose name was Dan. Dan lives virtually across the street from Hubbard Park, and started hiking on the trails in February after being read the riot act by his doctor. At first, three mile hikes left Dan sore for days; now he regularly hikes TEN MILES!

Just as I reached the water treatment plant, a truck approached from behind me. Scott introduced himself as a chief operator for the Meriden Water Department who clearly expressed he was a steward in keeping the reservoir area clean. He saw my trash bag and encouraged me to leave them at their gate any time I want, as he noticed I've done so in the past. My thanks to Scott; he represents the Meriden and the water department well.


On the Soap Box Derby track, I found graffiti I'd covered over in early September has been tagged yet again.


I returned Sunday morning before 7AM. Two can play this game.

Here it is mid-cover up.


When completely dry, it will be imperceptible.



No comments:

Post a Comment