Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2024

This One's On Me

 


Visit #1499, Sunday 13 October 24, 7:00-9:30AM, 4.1 miles, 1.0 lbs. of litter.
Temps in the 50s with occasional light showers.

A couple weeks ago I passed on the announcement the Meriden Parks and Recreation Department was hosting its annual Three Peaks Challenge, a nine mile hike encompassing East and West Peaks in Hubbard Park along with a hike to South Mountain, which adjoins Hubbard Park.

Back in July, Kathy Matula, the Recreation Coordinator for the parks department asked me if I ever hiked South Mountain as there was a downed tree across the trail. I told her I didn't hike South Mountain and didn't plan to hike that trail to clear that downed tree; I have enough to do in Hubbard Park.

Well, I had a change of heart.

On Saturday, I took a mountain bike ride to Hubbard Park and picked up the South Mountain trail to see what I was up against. Nothing I couldn't handle.

On the return ride to the north end I found the gate at the north end of Hubbard Park UNLOCKED. It wasn't unlocked when I entered the park.


Looked to me like someone cut the lock; the lock was still closed and there was a cut link.


Pretty ballsy for daytime.

Well, fortunately I was given a key to those locks in case I need to perform some "parkly" duties (and I don't abuse the privilege), so I dutifully re-locked the chain and the gate.


It was about that time that a car approached wondering how to exit the park. They told me a tree had fallen across the road and consequently they couldn't go anywhere. Which explains why the gate was open in the first place.

Good thing they caught me before I rode away! I unlocked the gate just as the police arrived to redirect traffic.

So let's take a look at what was blocking the road.


Yup; that's blocking the road alright.

I had been watching that particular tree for years, expecting as it was dead it would eventually fall and my eye said that when it did, across the road it would go.

Further up the road heading toward the park a backhoe was approaching, presumably to remove the tree.

Early Sunday morning I entered Hubbard Park via the north end with my chainsaw.

Like I said; nothing I couldn't handle.







Hope I removed all the fallen trees, Kathy!

You can see from the photos I brought my loppers too. I gave the trail a good haircut so if you get hit in the face with a branch, I'll give you a refund! But no refunds will be given without a receipt...

I don't know the route the Three Peaks Challenge takes on South Mountain; I just assumed it is out-and-back. But I did follow the red markers for a few hundred yards beyond the peak; time constraints made me turn around.

On the return trip I decided to check on how the parks department removed that fallen tree.


Looks like that backhoe managed to put that tree all the way into the woods, no chainsaw required.

The sign on that fallen tree is still employed.


The South Mountain trail should be good to go for the Three Peaks Challenge.






No comments:

Post a Comment