Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2022

A Dent In My Plans (and elsewhere)

 Visit #1352, Sunday 27 February 22, 6:55-9:15AM, 2.4 miles, 3.0lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 20's, clear skies with a light breeze.

I had other plans for Hubbard Park this weekend, but they required clear ground. Friday's snow/sleet/ freezing rain put a dent in those plans. I waited until Sunday hoping for a lot of snow melt, but that was wishful thinking. On to Plan B.

In speaking to a passerby this morning, they said yesterday the road around the reservoir was too icy for practical walking or hiking, which showed my choice of Sunday to be a wise one.

This week I switched to a roadside trimming session instead. As I head north around Merimere Reservoir along this stretch of road, I'm encountering the lowest hanging branches, and making the slowest progress, distance-wise.

This is roughly where I finished for this week's outing. The low hanging branches in the background are a good example of what needs to be trimmed, and will be trimmed in the coming weeks. Despite the overall magnitude of my project, I was pleased with the progress I made today.

What I was NOT pleased with today was, I let a branch land on my pole saw as it was lying on the ground. The branch put a minor dent in one extension; as a result, I couldn't collapse the saw nor extend it. I took it home and after some barbarian surgery, restored it to operational condition.

In fact, if you look closely at the above photo, you can see the slight bend in the top section of the pole compared to the lower section.

Despite the snow cover, I was able to collect a small amount of litter as I policed the playscape parking lot and the the access road behind the bandshell.

If the weather cooperates throughout the week and into next weekend, I might be able to remove the dent in my plans.



No comments:

Post a Comment