Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2022

Into the Brrrr! Redux

 

It was cold enough to wipe the smile off an Eskimo's face.

Visit #1349, Saturday 5 February 22, 8:00-11:15AM, 6.9 miles, 30.9lbs. of litter.

Temps in the teens to low 20's, sunny with a nasty cold, west wind.

Friday's rain was forecast to freeze overnight and this time it appears the weatherman would keep his job.

I knew the trails and the road around Merimere Reservoir would be too treacherous for most hikers and walkers unless they were prepared, so I expected to have the park to myself and for the most part I was right.

I came prepared for the slippery conditions, with crampons and trekking poles and they were indeed needed.


I hiked up an obscure trail which terminated near West Peak. At the high elevation, I finally began to see ice coating the trees.

The trails back to the park were even more of an obstacle to the unprepared.

I found some fallen branches which I'll attend to next week.

Since there was no litter to be found on the trails, once I returned to the park I decided to walk all the roads in Hubbard Park and pick up litter.

Along the way, I collected Season of the Missing Glove 2021/22, the Abundance of Missing Gloves Editions. We're up to nine for the season, for those who haven't been counting!





Actually, the cold wasn't that bad as long as you avoided the wind, covered any exposed skin, and stayed home drinking hot chocolate. I did the first two. As a result, Saturday's adventure was quite enjoyable.



No comments:

Post a Comment