Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Chainsaw Ridge

 With Memorial Day weekend in effect, it's time to think of those that died in war.

It wouldn't hurt to watch a war movie either; Clint Eastwood's "Heartbreak Ridge" came to mind.

I titled this week's blog entry "Chainsaw Ridge" because all the trees to be removed from the trail were on the ridge near West Peak.

While I may not be as tough as Gunnery Sgt. Highway, I did carry a chainsaw for five miles. That must count for something, no?!

Visit #1369, Sunday 29 May 22, 7:00-10:00AM, 5.1 miles, 5.2 lbs. of litter. Temps in the high 50's, rising to the 80's, sunny and dry.

I parked north of Merimere Reservoir and walked in. Reaching the gate at the north end of the reservoir, I noticed the lock had been cut.


I'm not sure who is responsible for this gate, the Parks Department or the Water Department. I'll notify Chris Bourdon at the Parks Department and let him take it from there.

Seems to me this gate needs a vandal-resistant lock just similar to the one I suggested be installed at the south end of Merimere Reservoir, back in April 2016. The Parks Department quickly took my advice, and the gate remains secure to this day.

I suggested this style from one I'd seen at West Rock State Park, where I visit occasionally as part of my job.


I took the padlock and left the chain.

Anyway, I walked up the road to West Peak, picking up litter as I went along.

At West Peak, I followed the Blue Trail to the fallen tree.


In the background you can see pieces of another fallen tree I'd removed in January 2018. This time, I came prepared, with a longer chainsaw bar with a more aggressive chain. It took minutes this time, rather than a couple weeks!


Rather than pack up the saw, I carried it, knowing more fallen trees lay ahead.

The next one was merely a leaner.



The last tree was difficult because of the split in the trunk. It was under great compression and kept pinching my chainsaw bar. I was also concerned about how it would fall considering the compression and the split. Safety first!

You can see the Blue Trail marker on the tree.


But when it released, it fell upright, hung up in another tree, off the trail on the left. Works for me!


Done with my work on Chainsaw Ridge, I hiked down and followed the Main Trail east toward the Halfway House. Along the way, I came upon my Find of the Week.


It's a mixture of Native American Indian religion, Jehovah's Witness, and some sort of Mother Earth philosophy. Not only did they bother to post this junk, they made the effort to carry a stapler with them! Yeah; I removed all of it, and the staples too.

Once I reached the road, I walked north around the reservoir and back to my car, while others enjoyed a quiet walk themselves.

Happy Memorial Day.








No comments:

Post a Comment