Pages

Sunday, May 7, 2023

Back On Track

 

It was a postcard perfect day in Hubbard Park. A week late considering the rained out Daffodil Festival.

My solution to the what the organizers might have you believe is a frequent Daffodil Festival problem (rain)-tear out the daffodils, plant flowers that bloom in May and change the name of the festival!

Which is why no one asks my opinion ever and James J. Barry, who brought daffodils to Hubbard Park, is giving me the stink-eye from the grave.

Visit #1422, Saturday 6 May 23, 6:45-10:00AM, 5.3 miles, 1.6 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 60s, sunny.

Visit #1423, Sunday 7 May 23, 7:00-7:30AM, mileage and litter n/a.

I've been waiting all spring for the right conditions to return to trimming the roadsides to East/West Peak.

This week was it.

All the rain which washed out the Daffodil Festival and the rain we received last week resulted in Merimere Reservoir's strong flow.

Reaching the south end of Merimere Reservoir, I found this memorial card perched on a large rock where many people sit to enjoy the view.

I've redacted the particulars but I will tell you she was originally from North Stonington CT and resided in Florida when passing. None of her family members were from the local area so I don't know what the association with Hubbard Park is, perhaps a friend.


Up near Castle Craig I resumed roadside trimming where I left off last fall.


Done with this session, I hiked the Blue Trail down to the north end of Merimere Reservoir and followed the road back to the the park.

But I wasn't done for this week.

Leaving the trail and walking the road back to the park Saturday, I spied some new graffiti on the jersey barrier at the north end of Merimere Reservoir.


Knowing I could address this with minimal time investment, I returned to the spot early Sunday morning.


While cleaning up, I saw mom and pop with their future turd factory progeny.


All in all, a wonderful weekend.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment