Pages

Sunday, June 11, 2023

Exchange of Gifts

 Visit #1427, Saturday 10 June 23, 6:45-8:45AM, 2.9 miles, 3.4 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 60s, sunny and pleasant.

I recently learned of a fallen tree across the steep trail near the Soap Box Derby track. It was oak and it was big. I gathered up my chainsaw and assorted tools early Saturday morning.

My gift to Hubbard Park would be a clear trail.

This tree measured forty-five feet long (I measured!) and 16-18" in diameter, longer than the bar on my saw.

I chose to first cut the section blocking the trail, cutting 16" lengths. This would give me a better chance of clearing the trail before I ran out of fuel, which eventually I did.

My plan worked!



The remaining trunk is not an issue so I'll leave it be.

I continued up the steep trail to the Halfway House, where I received MY gift.

Once a year I ask Chris Bourdon, Director of the Meriden Parks Department, to mow the grass around the Halfway House. It gives the public the impression it's not abandoned. I had planned on dropping my annual request in a week or so, but Chris and crew beat me to the punch and did a spectacular job of sprucing up the area. They even used a weed whacker around the perimeter. Now that's attention to detail!

My thanks (and I'm sure the thanks of the many hikers) to Chris Bourdon and the Meriden Parks Department crew, as I'm sure they're extremely busy this time of year.



I returned to the parking lot knowing you can give or receive gifts any time of the year.




No comments:

Post a Comment