Pages

Saturday, June 3, 2023

National Trails Day 2023

 


I participated in my own way in National Trails Day. I hope you did, too.

Visit #1426, Saturday 3 June 23, 7:45-11:00AM, 5.7 miles, 6.7 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 60s, cloudy, cool, breezy, and a chance of showers.

Honestly, I FORGOT about National Trails Day! But as I was returning to my car after today's hike, I met someone who reminded me of the day. Like back-dating a check, I gave myself credit for participating.

But this week's entry starts before National Trails Day.

During last weekend's hike I noticed some new graffiti carved into the posts at the Halfway House. So mid-week I took a mountain bike ride to the Halfway House to paint over it.


That was just one post, but I covered over all I found, using up the entire can of spray paint.

On Saturday as I walked around Merimere Resevoir and passed by Echo Point, I saw these strange, religious themed items posted on a couple trees.



I removed all of it, including the staples! You've got to wonder what kind of person would go to the effort to do this.

Further on up the road I met a new person, Casey. Casey was walking his four month old Beauceron, Jacob. I'd never heard of the breed so Casey gave me background.


For a four month old puppy, Jacob was already well trained, and calm. What was even more interesting was, Casey was training Jacob using commands spoken in Polish, not English! And since Casey didn't really speak Polish, he was using made-up words that sounded like Polish words he remembered from his youth! While it sounded like nonsense to me, Jacob clearly knew his commands!


What a cute puppy. That's redundant, isn't it?

As part of my National Trails Day activities, I continued trimming the roadsides to East/West Peaks, working toward West Peak. I made several hundred feet of progress which was much more than I expected.


After an hour of that fun, I picked up the trails again and proceeded to check out how the weed killer I applied at the Halfway House last week was doing.




And that was my contribution to National Trails Day.

Pro tip: With the warmer weather of summer comes mosquitos. Consider bringing insect repellent with you on your hikes. I know I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment