Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2024

Musical Chairs

 

'Tis mosquito season as I learned today. If you'll be hiking don't forget to bring the insect repellent.

I'm glad I did. I have Maggie's Farm Insect Repellent, which I think I bought at Big Y at the Townline Plaza in Meriden. It has a locking spray cap which keeps it safe in my backpack. P.S., I get no money for this endorsement or link. I don't want you to think I'm shilling for a product!

I was supposed to remove a couple fallen trees which I discovered last week, on the Blue Trail high above Merimere Reservoir. I hiked with my chainsaw all the way up there only to discover someone had beat me to it. I suspect this "someone" is reading my blog then acting on what I report as this is not the first time this has happened. Had I known this was going to occur I could have put my labor to better use elsewhere in the park. 

In order to get to the Blue Trail I followed the trails to the Halfway House and beyond. The Halfway House is in need of its mid-season trim, which I'll mention to the Meriden Parks Department.


The hike wasn't a total waste however. I did enjoy the views.



On the walk back to the park on the road, I found someone had dumped an entire bag of trash. I added it to my haul for the week.


You may recall two weeks ago I found a couple folding camp chairs beyond West Peak, tied them together, and carried them about three miles back to the park where I dropped them into a dumpster being used for construction work under I-691.


This past Thursday I rode my mountain bike in Hubbard Park and saw that someone bothered to remove one of the chairs from the dumpster and carried it roughly a half a mile, placing it at the south end of Merimere Reservoir.


I grabbed the chair and rode one-handed down to the dumpster and re-deposited the chair, after first rendering it un-chairable. Who does stuff like this anyway?

I like these early morning ends to my hikes; it frees up the rest of the day to recover!




No comments:

Post a Comment